This is us at the Ironman banquet with our dear friends. Blake, me, dad, John Byrd, The Gawrys's, and the Stucki's. It was really fun to be there with them.

The race was huge, there were about 2,500 people in it. In this picture of the bikes, our bikes were in the furthest row toward the top of the row. It was a pretty day, a little on the chilly side in the morning, perfect weather for a race!
The biking part was the most challenging for me. I beat dad out of the water on the swim, changed, and headed straight for my bike. I have never seen flatter roads! As I headed out on the bike course, I was trying to take it easy so dad could catch up to me. To my surprise, I was averaging a higher speed that I ever had on our normal workouts. Then, I turned at about mile 25 onto this one 25 mile stretch. It was straight into the terrible wind, slightly uphill. I came out of the water in the first 1/3 of all the athletes, but biking is my weak spot and the last
2/3 of the athletes almost all passed me on the bike eventually. It was very discouraging. However, dad finally caught me at mile 27, and the day got better. We turned the corner at mile 50, got out of the wind, and got to see Blake, mom, and Terry for a few minutes. From there everything seemed better. Dad and I got to ride together and the road was flat. However, at about mile 80 I began bartering my bike out to people, swearing to myself that I would never ride again. :)
My bum hurt really bad after the bike!
I was very surprised after I changed from my biking clothes to my running clothes that I felt like I could run! I was so excited. When I came out of the changing tent, mom, Blake, and Terry were all there and mom said "GO DANIELLE GO!!!" So, I took off! Dad came out a few minutes later and realized I had left him, so he ran the first mile really fast. Then, for the next 25.2 miles, we ran/walked the rest of the Ironman. And, I think it's important to note that I talked the rest of the way as well. I talked Dad's ear off... an Ironman challenge he had never faced before! :)
When we crossed the finish line, I felt completely and utterly relieved... and weak... and really gross. So, we gave each other a hug, took a few pictures, ate pizza, sat in the hot tub with mom, Blake, and Terry... then I went to bed a new person. An Ironman.







1 comment:
I'm dying, I want to do that Ironman so bad! I'm just scared Blake is going to work me...
Post a Comment