Saturday, September 08, 2007

Not the easiest 5 month transition...

WHAT NOT TO SAY TO A PRENGANT WOMAN:
(I HAVE SOME NEW ONES!)

1. You never know, this may be the only child you ever have.
2. After the baby is born, you are going to cry a lot.
3. Babies put a strain on marriage.
4. Mothers are unappreciated. I hope you're prepared for that for the rest of your life.
5. You think you're gaining a lot of weight now? You'll probably have a hard time getting it off, and may gain more weight after pregnancy.
6. I only gained 10 pounds during my entire pregnancy.
7. Wow. You're getting HUGE.
8. You're uncomfortable now? Just wait a few more weeks and see how you feel.
9. You're excited? Well, children change your life (said in negative tone).
10. My friend lost her baby in her (insert number)th month.
11. You probably shouldn't eat that.
12. You think the emotions will stop once you have the baby? Well, you'll be emotional until the day your last child goes to college.
13. Children make life harder.
14. Well aren't you looking fat and fabulous.
15. You know that lady in our ward who just had her baby? She looked about how you look now when she was 9 months pregnant! (I was 5 months along. Here comes the kicker...) But, she's a skinny person.
16. Someone harpoon that whale! (I got this one from Sara who said a man called it out down a hallway to her mom when she was pregnant. Rude!)
17. Last time I saw you, you were thin and fit!
18. Looks like you've been eating too many hamburgers.
19. My wife is having multiple babies... and look how BIG you look compared to her!

(SAID MOSTLY BY ANGRY MOTHERS)

Of course, I generally respond with a smile and a nod. That's it. But inside, my heart strings are being torn and I want to give them a piece of my mind. Okay, just to let you guys know, I have heard ALL of these several times from people. Yes, that's right, read them again and let your jaws drop. Needless to say, it does not help for people to be negative. Especially not to an emotional pregnant lady. My good friend, Britt, has written about this. Click Here to read her powerful words!

WHAT TO SAY TO A PREGNANT WOMAN
:

1. You are going to love being a mom.
2. This little person will bring you so much joy.
3. Pregnancy is the hardest part about having kids, and it only lasts 9 months!
4. You look so small for your (insert number)th month!
5. Wow, you look great. When I was pregnant I looked like the broad side of a barn!
6. After you have the baby, those extra pounds will come off so easily.
7. You SHOULD be excited about this baby!
8. Your little belly is so cute. You make a beautiful pregnant lady.

Yes, life will change. But if I'm happy now, that means I will be happy later. Yes, being a mom is so hard. But it is so rewarding, otherwise why would God have us be mothers? Yes, pregnancy usually means weight gain. I don't care what anyone says, I will lose it later. I can't wait to meet our little dude. He's going to be so cool. Blake and I held Colton, Nath and Chris's baby boy the other day. It brought us so much joy to see their little guy and look forward to being parents. I am so grateful to have a strong, happy family of 2 to bring this little person into.

By the way, if you have any other remarks I can add to my lists that people have said to you or that you think are typical,
just leave a comment!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

5 months and still drop dead gorgeous!

Dani said...

Thank you, Blakey. :)

My Everythings said...

You look hot. :) And you're pregnant... you are supposed to gain weight!

Jenny said...

Actually, I have to say that being told at 22 weeks that I don't look pregnant (because aparently they think I'm small) is just as insulting as being told I look like I'm ready to deliver at 22 weeks. I don't consider it a compliment. Maybe if I was super big the first time around, I would appreciate being told I look small, but instead it just makes me feel invalidated for all the uncomfortableness and sickness I've experienced, so now I want to look pregnant. Next time someone tells me that I will ask them, "What is the right size to be at 22 weeks?" It seems like no matter how big you are, people always have to comment that you are too big or too small. Is there any such thing as just right?

Jenny said...

Oh, I definately show that I'm pregnant!

Summer said...

So frustrating Dani. Motherhood is SOOOOOOOOOOO wonderful. I have never felt so much love in my life. And if you allow it, children will only ENRICH your marriage. It all depends on your attitude. My relationship with James has never been better. And remember, having kids obviously isn't going to be a piece of cake....it will be hard, but with those challenges comes the most reward. "Men are that they might have joy" and God gave us the best means to find this joy when he commanded us to have children. I feel so blessed to be a mommy. I can't wait for your little one to come! Love you lots! Hang in there!

Sarah said...

Danielle- you're having a baby! I was so excited to have this web address! I am thrilled for you! Honestly, I've never been so happy in my life as I am when I am laughing with my little one. Motherhood is great!

As for the negative ones, my mom had a bad one once. A man at church called from the other end of the hall, "Someone harpoon that whale!" Can you believe it? Some people are so insensitive. Honestly I think pregnant women are the most beautiful people in the world, and I felt that way when I was pregnant.